Yao: I take all the responsibility for China's World Cup performance
GUANGZHOU - Chinese Basketball Association president Yao Ming said he would take all the responsibility for China's poor performance in the FIBA Basketball World Cup.
Yao said immediately after he was asked by a reporter who will be the one responsible for China's performance.
China lost to Nigeria 86-73 to finish second in Group N with two wins and three losses, failing to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics directly from the World Cup.
"It is me who disappoint the fans," Yao said.
"The fans had great expectation for China at the World Cup, but we could not make it," the 39-year-old added.
Yao took charge of the Chinese Basketball Association in 2017. He carried out reforming measures on professional league and youth academy.
"This (World Cup) is a window for us to look out the world. The gap between China and the world leading basketball countries has been enlarged .
"We have determination to keep our reform on, including professional league, youth academy and sports education," Yao said.
- Ronaldo faces Atlético again; depleted PSG takes on Madrid
- Senior Chinese official meets IOC president
- China's Lin Dan suffers early exit at China Open
- Korir relishes Doha heat eyeing gold at debut World marathon C'ships
- China wins women's team crown in 2019 Asian Table Tennis Championships
- Naturalized Lin eyes Olympic glory